Worked the last two nights at the EOLC. I was really concerned about working the night shift. It's been a long time, but I feel pretty good. When my husband works nights he comes home, goes to bed and sleeps until time to shower and go back to work. I can come home, sleep 3-4 hours and be ready to go. I might not be able to do 4 nights (12 hour shifts) in a row like he does, but right now I am only working 2 or 3 days a week and they are usually spread out. Anyway, it is really interesting work. First night, we had an overdose and lots of fights, plus the usual complaints- chest pain, difficulty breathing, and so on. There is also medication administration, lots of insulin dependent diabetics and TONS of paperwork. There was also some talk of a tropical storm or something so everyone (but me) was preparing for that. Many of the employees told horror stories of being stuck there for DAYS following Katrina, so they were a little apprehensive. I say no way in hell am I staying there more than my 12 hours. Second night was really wild. We arrived the same time as the ambulance. There had been an altercation and one guy had to be transported to the hospital for further care. Later in the evening we saw many more fights, an alleged sexual assault, and the usual complaints. It is an interesting place!
My little guy, the one who called to ask my marital status, was working. He teases me every time I work. He makes eye contact and smiles, delays opening the gate so I have to look at him or say something to him. Nothing makes your day like a little attention from the opposite sex, or the same sex sometimes. Anyway, I like attention. It's a bad thing. I need help. Psychiatric help. I have a feeling he will become a regular part of my nights there.
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment