I have worked more the last 2 weeks than I did all last month. My sweet little girl is in Honor Choir and made the A B Honor Roll and is playing soccer and doing really well (other than missing her sisters!)so I am glad I took a reduction in work hours for a brief period of time. We are completely broke and unprepared for the upcoming holiday season but I think I can make up for it by working a few weekends after I start my new job.
I'm so excited about the job. The 27th is my first day. I get to sleep at night, be home in the evening and work with real people. Not killers and rapists and thieves. At least not everyday.
Speaking of killers, rapists and thieves, I have experienced a new hell. Lock down in a max security facility. Up to now my time had been in minimum security units housing only 1,000 inmates. Picture 2,900 inmates locked down, unable to watch TV, go to the rec yard, visit the commissary or go to the chow hall. I think prison should be like this everyday. During lock downs the inmates leave their cells only for urgent medical needs. Depending on the warden and the reason for the lock down the medical staff may perform most tasks at cell side. The last day I worked we were at least getting the diabetics brought to us. That can change at any time.
Lock downs are really a regular occurrence. There is usually an annual lock down at each facility to search for contraband. Weather can cause a lock down. Escape threats or gang upset can get the place locked down. The longest one I've ever experienced, prior to coming here, was 4 days. We just went through 7 days during the hurricane. We've been locked down for about 10 days now. I assumed it was an annual search. I heard on the news tonight that the governor ordered a state wide lock down. If you're interested, google my state and prison lock down. It is a very interesting story. Makes me glad I'm not going to be there everyday.
I go back to work Wednesday. I bet it is going to be fun.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I heard the story on the radio news. I was all, "Wow, that must have really run up OKC's cell phone bill!"
;)
Sounds like more fun than a human being should have ;)
I'm off of nights now, too. Yay for us! Enjoy working with the sun people
Hey- you know I need ALL my cell minutes! I can't be sharin' with no body!
Post a Comment